Northern Ireland Affairs Committee launches inquiry into health and social care funding
Following the passing of the Northern Ireland Budget Act 2018 earlier this month, the inquiry will look into whether the funding allocated to the Department of Health is sufficient to meet the growing pressures on the provision of health and social care in Northern Ireland. It will also examine how these funds could be used to improve service levels across the health and social care (HSC) system.
Terms of Reference
The Committee is inviting written evidence on the following issues:
- Are the funds allocated to the Department of Health in the Northern Ireland Budget (No. 2) Bill sufficient to improve levels of performance across the HSC in Northern Ireland?
- What will be the consequences for the HSC that follow from the decision by the Secretary of State to allow £100m of existing funding ring-fenced for capital to be invested in ongoing public service provision?
- Should the UK Government ensure that additional confidence and supply funding earmarked for specific areas is spent on those areas, and if so how?
- Which areas of health and social care are under most pressure and how could funding be used to alleviate these pressures?
- How could funding be directed to meet the changing patterns of demand that arise from an ageing population?
- How can access to cancer treatment and drugs be improved in Northern Ireland?
- How could funding be targeted to reduce waiting times for elective care?
- How could funding in the short-term be used to bring about long-term transformational change in the HSC?
- Does the current HSC workforce model secure value for money?
The closing date for written submission to the Commitee is Friday 24 August 2018.
To read more, and to send a written submission, click here.
To view the Northern Ireland 2018-19 Budget document, click here.
For further information on the NI Affairs Committee, click here.
Subscribe to eNews
- Northern Ireland Affairs Committee launches inquiry into education funding
- Northern Ireland Affairs Committee launches inquiry into devolution and democracy in Northern Ireland
- Who are the new Ministers at the Northern Ireland Office? #reshuffle
- Who is the new Minister at the Northern Ireland Office?