NICVA Executive Committee Vacancy
NICVA is governed by its Executive Committee, which is directly elected by member organisations at the Annual General Meeting.
The Executive Committee comprises twelve persons, one third of which is elected each year. Elected candidates serve for a period of three years. Membership of the Executive Committee is broadly representative of different interests within the sector as a whole. The Executive Committee is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of NICVA, developing the vision, mission and values and the organisation's strategic objectives in accordance with the Articles of Association and other legal and regulatory guidelines. The Executive Committee may appoint additional members to the Committee as necessary.
The Executive Committee are now seeking the expertise of an accountant to join the board.
If you are interested in being co-opted to our board and wish to discuss this further, please contact Úna McKernan [email protected]. Closing date: Tuesday, 6 June 2023 at 4pm
Role of a member of NICVA's Executive Committee
Executive Committee members ensure the good governance of the organisation and are responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of NICVA, developing the Vision Mission and Values, and the organisation’s strategic objectives in accordance with the Memorandum and Articles of Association and other legal and regulatory guidelines. (Refer to NICVA Memorandum and Articles of Association, Appendix 1).
- Prepare for and participate in the induction for Executive Committee members.
- Seek information to ensure an understanding of the governance responsibilities of an Executive Committee member.
2 Prior to Executive Committee meetings
- Put forward items for the agenda in advance of the meetings.
- Apologise in advance if absence is unavoidable.
- Read all papers in advance of meetings.
3 Executive Committee meetings
- To attend and participate in at least six Executive Committee meetings per year and other sub-committee and working group meetings to promote the achievement of NICVA’s strategic objectives and accept collective responsibility for decisions made. A quorum at each meeting will be five members.
- Recognising the value which the diversity of backgrounds and views of Executive Committee members can bring, Executive Committee members are expected to demonstrate a broad perspective on the sector as a whole and on NICVA as an organisation and avoid promoting vested sectional interests.
- Declare any potential conflicts of interest and do not be present for any discussion where you may have a conflict of interest.
- Accept the authority of the Chair concerning the process of the meeting.
4 After Executive Committee meetings
- Accept collective responsibility for the decisions of the Executive Committee.
- Within the constraints of openness and accountability, maintain the confidentiality of items designated as confidential by the Chair and the contribution of individuals to Executive Committee meetings.
5 Sub-Committees and Working Groups
- Actively participate in appropriate sub-committees and working groups.
- Be willing to participate in recruitment, disciplinary, complaints and/or grievance panels as requested.
- Consider who would best fill office-bearer roles and contribute positively in the election of office-bearers.
- Promote the Vision Mission and Values of NICVA.
- Contribute to the drawing up and monitoring of strategic and operational plans.
7 Information and training needs
- Identify own training, development and information needs as a member of the Executive Committee and participate in appropriate training and/or development activities.
8 Relations with staff, volunteers and service users
- Foster and maintain good relations with staff, volunteers and service users.
9 Health and safety
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself an others.
- Co-operate with NICVA in complying with relevant health and safety requirements.
10 Qualities Required
- Eligible to be elected by the members or co-opted by the Executive Committee.
- Not be debarred by law from directorship of a company
- Willingness to undertake the role and responsibilities of an Executive Committee member as set out in law and this role statement.
- To ensure that Executive Committee members are not out of pocket as a result of participating in NICVA’s governance, members are entitled to claim legitimate expenses.
It should be noted that individual Executive Committee members do not have any authority in relation to NICVA outside the collective authority of the Executive Committee unless specific authority is delegated by the Executive Committee.
Subscribe to eNews
Share your COVID-19 support service
Organisations providing support to people and communities can share their service information here