Welfare Reform Mitigations: Less than one year to cliff edge
Through this engagement we aim to generate sustained media coverage on the fast approaching mitigations cliff edge in March 2020 and the impact this will have on people including the threat of an eviction crisis. We will do this by:
- Providing media with the latest up-to-update information on the mitigations package
- Facilitating interviews with people that rely on the mitigations package, in particular people affected by the bedroom tax and the benefit cap
- Facilitating interviews with people that have a key interest in the mitigations package including advice sector, housing sector, community sector
- Highlighting the upcoming challenges
We are delighted to be joined by a number of speakers who will be able to provide context around the welfare reform mitigations and the impact this cliff edge will have on people here. Speakers include:
Advice NI and NICVA are facilitating a media morning at NICVA to highlight the welfare reform mitigations cliff edge NI faces in one year. These mitigations which were agreed in the Fresh Start Agreement to protect against some of the harshest impacts of welfare reform, expire in March 2020.
Through this engagement we aim to generate sustained media coverage on the fast approaching mitigations cliff edge in March 2020 and the impact this will have on people including the threat of an eviction crisis
10:00am: Registration, Tea & Coffee
10:30am: Welcome from Seamus McAleavey (NICVA)
10:35am: Eileen Evason (Welfare Reform Working Group & Evason Report)
10:45am: Overview of impact of current mitigations Bob Stronge (Advice NI)
10:55am: Future of mitigations and new challenges (Cliff Edge Coalition NI)
11:05am: Impacts of the end of mitigations in communities Glenda Davies (Sandy Row Community Forum)
11:15am: Impact of cliff edge on housing providers, Keelan McGaghran (Radius Housing)
11:25am-12:30pm: Questions & interviews
It is envisaged that the most important element of the event will be the opportunity for media to interview people who rely on the mitigations package or key stakeholders who know the issues faced by people who rely on the mitigations package.
If you are interested in being part of this event and engaging with the media on the issue of the welfare reform mitigations please register below.
Please be aware that you may be charged if you don't attend an event you have registered for - even in the case of free to access events. Full details on our cancellation policy:
NICVA cancellation policy
- Cliff Edge NI Coalition Submission to the Joint Inquiry into Welfare Policy- what are the main points?
- Welfare Reform Mitigations: Less than 1 year to cliffedge
- Delivering the UN Sustainable Development Goals: What Role for the NI Voluntary and Community Sector?
- How can NICVA support the Ethnic Minority sector?