AbilityNet supports people of any age, living with any disability or impairment to use technology to achieve their goals at home, at work and in education. We do this by providing specialist advice services, free information resources and by helping to build a more accessible digital world.
About AbilityNet: who are we, and what do we do?
Here at AbilityNet we have a passion for the power of technology to transform lives. For over 20 years AbilityNet has been older and disabled people to use technology to achieve their goals at home, at work and in education. We do this by providing specialist advice services, free information resources and by helping to build a more accessible digital world.
Overview of AbilityNet Free Services
As a charity AbilityNet exists to change the lives of older and disabled people by helping them to use digital technology. Our vision is a digital world, equally accessible to all.
We are supported by IBM and Microsoft and offer a range of free services including:
- The free helpline 0800 048 7642 is available 9-5 Monday-Friday for technology advice and information.
- Be My Eyes, a direct video call from your device to connect to an AbilityNet representative.
- Specialist advice: Our Disability Consultants can provide tailored 1:1 advice dependent on individual barriers to accessing technology, from simple adjustments to specialist software that’s available.
- A nationwide network of more than 350 carefully selected and vetted AbilityNet Tech volunteers who are on hand to offer phone and remote support for groups and individuals. As well as diagnosing and fixing most computer related problems, the tech volunteers can help with sending and receiving emails, using the internet, installing new hardware and software and giving impartial advice on IT equipment and software. (Previously we also offered free home visits and will continue to do this when restrictions are lifted).
- Free online expert resources including factsheets, webinars and My Computer My Way, a unique series of step-by-step guides to the many ways you can adjust your laptop, desktop, tablet or smartphone, including changes to your keyboard and mouse.
Helpline opening hours 9am-5pm Monday-Friday