NICVA Hosts Information Event on DoH Duty of Candour Consultation
The Department of Health is consulting on draft policy proposals for the statutory Duty of Candour and a Being Open Framework for Health and Social Care (HSC). These policy proposals, to enact a statutory Duty of Candour in Northern Ireland, were developed by the Duty of Candour Workstream and its Being Open Subgroup as part of the Hyponatraemia Implementation Programme. The policy proposals set out an approach to implement the recommendations relating to a statutory Duty of Candour made by the Inquiry Into Hyponatraemia-Related Deaths
The aim of this engagement event was to further inform VCS organisations about these policy proposals and how they can best respond to the public consultation.
Joining us at this event where Alan Weir from the Dept of Health and Quintin Oliver, Chair of The Duty of Candour Workstream, who have been responsible for developing the proposal options to address the recommendations on candour.
In his presentation Quintin explained the background to the IHRD programme, the public consultation and policy proposals and shared some information and advice to help support organisations to respond to the consultation. A copy of his full presentation is included in this article.
You can view a recording of the session below:
Responding to the Consultation
In order to help people to respond to the consultation, Plain English and Easy Read versions of the policy proposals are available on the DoH website. Please note that respondents do not have to address every question within the consultation, and can instead focus on the questions or issues that are of particular interest.
Responses can be submitted using one of the following options:
- Via the online survey hosted on Citizen Space;
- By completing the consultation questionnaire available on the DoH website. The Questionnaire can be adapted and completed depending on which questions you wish to respond to, and submitted via email or in hard copy using the contact details listed below;
- By completing the Consultation Response template and submitting it using the contact details listed below; and
- By sending an email, or writing to the address listed below, with a summary of your feedback to the consultation.
Write to -
Department of Health
Room D1.1, Castle Buildings
Further Information on the Duty of Candour and a Being Open Framework
The statutory Duty of Candour and a Being Open Framework for Health and Social Care (HSC) have been developed following the recommendations from the Inquiry into Hyponatraemia-Related Deaths and are part of the Department of Health’s Hyponatraemia Implementation Programme.
The Inquiry recommended that a statutory Duty of Candour should apply to Healthcare Organisations and everyone working for them. The Inquiry also recommended that criminal liability should attach to breach of this duty and to obstruction of another in the performance of this duty. Further recommendations were made about the need for guidance, support and protection to be provided for staff and organisations in order to create a more open culture.
More Information on the Public Consultation
The consultation, which commenced on 12 April, was scheduled to close on 2 August 2021, but the deadline for submission of responses has been extended until 31 August. More details on the consultation, including how to respond are available on the DoH website here
Further information in relation to the Duty of Candour Workstream and Being Open Subgroup, as well as the whole Hyponatraemia Implementation Programme, is available here
DoH (NI) Consultation Page: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/consultations/duty-of-candour
Consultation Citizen Space page – https://consultations.nidirect.gov.uk/doh-1/duty-of-candour/
Subscribe to eNews
Share your COVID-19 support service
Organisations providing support to people and communities can share their service information here
- Duty of Candour & Being Open DoH Public Consultation- NICVA Information Event **REGISTRATION CLOSED**
- NICVA hosts Consultation Event on Dormant Accounts Fund for Northern Ireland
- NICVA hosts Consultation Event on the new EU PEACE PLUS Programme for 2021-2027
- UK Government Host Information Webinar for Northern Ireland Applicants to Round 2 of the Levelling Up Fund