General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The General Data Protection Regulation is the biggest change to data protection law in 20 years. This will affect your organisation.
Our Data Protection Toolkit has practical guidance and resources to help you prepare for GDPR
With stronger emphasis on accountability and transparency, and with the matter of fines and charities' reputations on the line, it is essential that GDPR is on the agenda.
Data protection covers everyone about whom you keep personal data. This includes employees, volunteers, service users, members, supporters and donors.
Senior managers as well as staff need to be aware of their responsibilities as data controllers.
The law requires organisations to comply with the principles for data protection.
Every organisation should have a written policies and procedures specific to how they handle personal data and enact the privacy principles.
- GDPR will replace the Data Protection Act 1998 as the primary piece of legislation on data protection.
- The Data Protection Act 2018 will update and modernise UK data protection law in line with the GDPR.
- The UK government has confirmed that the decision to leave the EU will not affect these changes remaining in place.
Information and guidance
In addition to the articles and resources that NICVA has produced, and our Data Protection Toolkit, there is some excellent guidance available from the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and other sources:
- ICO - Preparing for GDPR 12 steps to take now
- ICO - Frequently asked questions for charities
- ICO - Checklist for data controllers and data processors
- ICO - Guide to Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR)
- Fundraising regulator and IoF – GDPR and charitable fundraising guidance
- NCVO Knowhowtononprofit - How to prepare for GDPR
- Inspiring financial leadership – GDPR guide for charities
Online Learning offer: NICVA has partnered with Legal-Island to offer its member organisations cost-effective online training on the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). To find out more check here https://www.legal-island.com/e-learning/gdpr-compliance-in-the-workplace/ or contact [email protected] or call 028 9446 3888 ext #211
News & Articles
- 1 of 2
- next ›
Data Protection for small charities, groups and clubs #DataFridays
12 Apr 2019 -
10:00 to 12:00
61 Duncairn Gardens