The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story - Falls Shankill TLP Autumn 2019
Since the course, the group took the initiative to set up a WhatsApp group which was a very positive indication that contacts and bonds formed would continue beyond the lifetime of the course.
“It was felt that as a result of the course there would be a more joined up approach across community and statutory/ public agencies, evidenced in the formation of the WhatsApp group.”
What motivated you to sign up?
The general feedback was the opportunity to network and learn from others. Also the fact that the course delivery i.e. one full day per week over 5 weeks was manageable in terms of taking time out of work for participants. This short-term delivery was also attractive to employers.
Experience and Learning
What did you like?
Overall, the group were happy with the delivery, group size, location, presentation, friendliness and openness of other participants. Feedback evidenced a very positive experience from all participants as well as an eagerness to promote the programme within each person’s workplace to encourage work colleagues to participate in future roll outs.
Which topics stood out for you?
Different topics stood out for different people, for example:
- Leadership styles
- Transforming relationships
- Transforming conflict: learners expressed an interest in developing the Broadway model as a template for future work.
- Social innovation tools: this new technique of thinking outside the box was challenging for some.
What are you likely to ‘take back’ to your life/work in the community?
Participants would take group work, sharing of knowledge, strength in collaboration, listening and learning back to their communities.
What difference has it made?
Are there people/agencies you feel able to talk to and work with now that you weren’t before?
It was felt that as a result of the course there would be a more joined up approach across community and statutory / public agencies, evidenced in the formation of the WhatsApp group.
What difference will this make to how you engage in your interface area?
It was suggested that there would be more face to face meetings, improved working practices across the board and a clearer understanding of the sensitivities of those living on interfaces.
What difference will the course make to the interface area overall?
Feedback from participants indicated a realisation of the complexities faced by communities living on interface areas: their fears, anxieties, desire for change, the inter-generational differences, the need to include those experiencing life in the interface and to support transition in a way that is inclusive, empowering and includes a package of regeneration.
Subscribe to eNews
Share your COVID-19 support service
Organisations providing support to people and communities during the COVID-19 emergency can share their service information here
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story- Terry McCallum, Belfast City Council Falls Shankill TLP Spring 2020
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story Laura Marley, Springboard, Falls Shankill TLP 3, Autumn 2020
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story- Shannon Downey, Groundwork NI Duncairn TLP Autumn 2019
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story- North Talks Too & IFI Peace Walls Group, Girdwood TLP, Autumn 2019