TLP Participant Story – Meabh Harvey, local resident, Suffolk Lenadoon TLP Autumn 2020
Introduction and Motivation
- What motivated you to sign up to this particular programme over any others?
I wasn’t aware of any similar programmes. I liked that it was community based, it was short (a few hours a week) and the topic interested me.
Experience and Learning
- What topics stood out for you?
Transformative leadership in general, power and systems as I didn’t know much about this before.
- What are you likely to ‘take back’ to your life/work in the community?
Hopefully a more transformative leadership style – buy-in from people, having a vision, confidence, recognising strengths in people.
- How would you summarise your experience of the programme?
Interesting, sociable, learning.
- Is there anything you could or would do now that you wouldn’t have felt able to do before?
Deal with people who are “above me” – for example in my football club, people who are older and have been there longer.
- What difference will this make to how you engage in your interface area?
I am more aware of the interface area and the needs of the individual people in it and I am more committed to doing something to help / make a difference.
- What difference will the course make to the interface area overall?
I think the course will help relationships in the interface areas and increased understanding of each other.
- Which issues in particular do you think you might get involved in?
Youth - giving them something to do, and community wellbeing – making things better for people, if in a somewhat small way.
- How will you apply new ways of working, ideas or approaches?
I will be more confident and more aware of people I am working with, their needs and abilities and aspirations.
- To what extent do you think these changes would have occurred in the absence of this course?
I would not be aware of the needs of the people in the interface areas, I would not have the confidence or knowledge to act or lead.
Subscribe to eNews
Share your COVID-19 support service
Organisations providing support to people and communities during the COVID-19 emergency can share their service information here
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story Michael O’Hara, Suffolk Lenadoon TLP Autumn 2020
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story- Suffolk Lenadoon TLP, Autumn 2019
- TLP Participant Story – Paul Doherty, Suffolk Lenadoon TLP Autumn 2020
- The Transformative Leadership Programme: Participants tell their story Lesley Doherty, North Belfast Resident Limestone Road TLP Spring 2020