Adopt NI is an independent registered charity established in 1989 in Northern Ireland in response to the introduction of legislation entitling adopted adults to their original birth certificates.
Our main aim has always been to provide support to all those (birth and adoptive families) facing the challenges of adoption. However, during 2008 we extended our services, to also include adults whose lives have been impacted in any way by the care system.
We are based in Belfast but our work covers the whole of Northern Ireland. We also deal frequently with enquiries from people in Southern Ireland, from mainland UK and from other countries, e.g. Australia and America; indeed anywhere where people have a link to Northern Ireland.
- Adult adoptees and adults brought up in either foster care or residential care
- Birth parents/families of these groups
- Adoptive parents whose children are over 18 years of age
- Birth parents who have already lost children under 18 years to adoption
- Social workers working within adoption or with young people leaving care
- Others connected, either personally or professionally, to those mentioned above.