Crescent Arts Centre Ltd
Crescent Arts Centre Ltd
The Crescent Arts Centre is a diverse community arts centre which has delivered a varied range of arts and cultural activities for 35 years. Located in Belfast's Queen's Quarter, it is housed in the former home of Victoria College, an historic four storey listed building located at 2-4 University Road and built in 1873.
The location of the building, with central rail and bus access encourages visits and attendance from all communities, and has provided excellent opportunity for cross-community work. The Outreach and Education programme is constantly developing and growing, embracing new arts and cultural developments and creating new partnerships.
The centre underwent a multi award-winning £7million refurbishment (2008-2010). This allowed 50% of the building to come back into use and since its reopening in April 2010, it has been a hive of artistic activity.
The class and workshop programme offered by the Crescent embraces the visual arts, many forms of dance and movement, verbal arts, music in many forms, theatre and drama activities, crafts, and an extensive programme of activities for young people.
The centre is home to a wide variety of live events ranging from theatre, rock / classical / electronica / jazz, dance, film, cabaret, readings, poetry slams
The Crescent is also home to two key annual festivals, ‘The Belfast Book Festival’ and ‘Citydance’.
Aims and Objectives:
- to offer opportunities for everyone to meet and be inspired by a varied artistic programme of participatory events, performances and exhibitions
- the advancement of the education of the public by promoting artistic activities through tuition and performances
- to encourage and facilitate the participation in and appreciation of artistic activities by people from all sectors of society
- to promote a diversity of art forms and high standards in community arts activities
- the preservation and improvement of an historic building
The Crescent Arts Centre is a diverse community arts centre which:
- programmes c. 250 weekly classes and workshops, 30 weeks of the year, in a variety of artforms
- runs events ranging from theatre, rock / classical / electronica / jazz, dance, film, cabaret, readings, poetry slams
- operates a huge outreach programme throughout the city for marginalised communities and those encountering barriers to accessing arts activities
- runs two annual festivals, Belfast Book Festival and CityDance
- houses 8 arts-related organisations in dedicated office space
- is home to a viual arts gallery
- hires space to local arts, community and charitable organisations at discounted rates as well as corporate businesses for meetings and conferences.
The centre is open 7 days a week.
Mon - Fri 9:15am - 10:30pm (later if live event on)
Sat-Sun 9:15am - 8pm (later if live event on)