Success in funding applications(CFNI) webinar resources
Lynn outlined how to find the perfect funder for your project or organisation, described the application process and gave an overview of what makes an application successful.
She started by saying that the funder needed your organisation/project in order to deliver their mission and reach the people they wanted to, so it was important to have a partnership approach.
She also highlighted the importance of choosing the funder carefully, quoting Stephen Covey - "If the ladder is not leaning against the right wall, each step we take only gets us to the wrong place faster"
Lynn then described the range of different types of funder and the type of questions you should ask when choosing a funder or funding scheme, such as:
- Are you eligible to apply?
- Do you meet their current funding priorities?
- Do they offer the size of grant you need?
- Will they fund exactly what you need?
- Is match funding required? In kind or cash?
- Do you need to have a partner(s)?
- Can you meet any additional requirements?
- Remove the risk for the funder - well governed organisation, project objectives clear, management systems in place, complete and realistic budget
- Evidence the need - surveys, focus groups, vox pops, audits, research, interviews
- Put people first
- Cost a project realistically
- Make the impact of the project clear - what difference will it make?
- Have all of the documents prepared and ready in good time
- Get in touch with the funder and take any advice they offer
GrantTracker - almost 900 funding schemes for voluntary and community organisations in NI at your fingertips
NICVA's fundraising advice hub
The Fundraising Regulator - Code of Fundraising Practice
The National Lottery Community Fund and full cost recovery - Guidance for applying for project overheads
NICVA's GrantNet funding conference videos and resources - Halifax, TNL Community Fund and Trusthouse Charitable Foundation
Esmee Fairburn Video funding from a funder's perspective
Subscribe to eNews
Share your COVID-19 support service
Organisations providing support to people and communities can share their service information here