Top Ten Findings State of the Sector 6
Key findings from State of the Sector VI are provided below. To access the full report click here.
- The voluntary and community sector consists of 4,836 organisations.
- An estimated 58% of the sector’s income comes from the sale of goods and the delivery of services.
- Direct departmental expenditure in 2009-2010 in the sector accounted for approximately £254 million.
- Over 40% of the workforce is employed by organisations with an income of over £1 million.
- 29.1% of organisations believe that the general health of their organisation will worsen over the next year.
- Nearly 3% of respondents indicated that they anticipate closing in the next 12 months.
- The sector employs 27,773 individuals representing 4% of the total Northern Ireland workforce. Females make up 72% of the workforce.
- 63% of organisations anticipate working in collaboration with other organisations.
- The main source of income is central government (34.2%), followed by the general public through charitable giving (29.7%), and a range of non-departmental public bodies and statutory agencies (17.4%).
- A total of £220 million was made in donations to charities in 2009-2010 with the average donation being £16.75.
Subscribe to eNews
Share your COVID-19 support service
Organisations providing support to people and communities can share their service information here